Homepage(2)     Plants(index) [deutsch] [français]

Sulphur tuff

Previous Index Next

This very common mushroom should not be be taken with one when mushrooming: The Sulphur tuff (Hypholoma fasciculare) is not only extremely bitter, but it is poisonous too. To be more concrete, it can cause trouble in the intestines. It often grows in masses on rotten tree stumps or roots, and sometimes looks like the Two-toned tuft, from which it can be distinguished by its greenish lamellas and its smooth stem.

The mushroom on the picture was in total about 7cm high. The moss, on which it grows, is one of the most common mosses of european forests: Hypnum cupressiforme (ony german). I took the picture somewhere in the Kottenforst, a forest near Bonn (germany).


Homepage(2)     Plants(index) by Michael Becker, 2/2002. Last modification: 2/2002.